Wednesday, October 12, 2011

5th Grade Still Life

With 28 classes coming through my room every week, doing a still life is a challenge. I decided to glue all of my vases (bought at Goodwill, and spray-painted white) to a piece of cardboard, and use a desk lamp for light and shadows.


The set-up turned out nicely, with soft shadows falling on each vase. Perfect for learning to blend charcoal!


I used the still-life with 5th grade, and they did an outstanding job drawing from sight. Here are a few drawings that today's 5th grade class completed this morning:












2 comments:

  1. This is a brilliant lesson. I love the idea of spray painting the vases and gluing them down. So smart. Your kids did a great job and I love the drawings on grey paper. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found your blog. I have been looking at other blogs to see how art teachers taught still life to their students.

    This is a very smart way to do it! I will be going to GW or 99c today and picking up a few vases. If you have a class of 20, they are able to still crowd around a table in the center of your art room? Do you show them some images before you begin of masters work as examples? Thank you for your help!

    ReplyDelete