Wednesday, September 26, 2012

4th Grade Figure/Ground Reversal Art

My 4th grade students are learning about negative and positive space. We did this picture with cut paper. The students started with a 6" x 6" white paper, and a 3" x 3" black paper, and used every scrap; if they cut a circle from the left side, they glued it on the right. I really like the results, and I think that the students grasped the concept of negative and positive space since we talked about how it switches halfway through. One side has black negative space; the other side has white negative space.

































This is my bulletin board. I love how they all look together! The contrast of the black and white is so strong.


We looked at this woodcut by M.C. Escher for art history. In it, the top of the picture has white negative space, and the bottom of it has black negative space. The students enjoyed the metamorphosis. One student pointed out that if you start with the simplest goose or fish, and work your way to the more complete ones, it's like a drawing "how-to". I thought that was an interesting observation!

5 comments:

  1. Great work - I especially like the old-style telephone! They make a marvelous group display!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful. They do look super graphic together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the appearance of depth/shadow that may of them have. Well done, students and teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had COPD for over three years, I was beyond scared! but sometimes I think is God prodigy that I was able to treat my COPD but multivitamincare .org herbal remedies has a big impact on my recovery. My lung function test indicated 44% capacity. After having had flu as well, the shortness of breath, coughing and chest pains continued even after being treated with antibiotics. I've been smoking two packs a day for 36 years. The problem was having is that I enjoy smoking and don't want to give up! Have tried twice before and nearly went crazy and don't want to go through that again. I saw the fear in my family eyes when I told them about my condition then they start to find solution on their own to help my condition.I am an 59 now who was diagnose COPD emphysema which I know was from my years of smoking. I started smoking in school when smoking was socially acceptable. I remember when smoking was permitted in hospitals. It was not known then how dangerous cigarettes were for us, and it seemed everybody smoked but i was able to get rid of my COPD lung condition through the help of total cure herbal foundation my husband bought, Multivitamin Herbal Care has the right herbal formula to help you get rid and repair your lungs and cure you totally with their natural organic herbs. I wish anybody who starts smoking at a young age would realize what will eventually happen to their bodies if they continue that vile habit throughout their life,it advisable to always try natural herbs at first because www .multivitamincare .org neutralize my COPD which surprise everyone at home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bruh,It's better than mine😅😅

    ReplyDelete