Monday, March 31, 2014

5th Grade Clay Picture Frames

Last year, my 5th grade students created picture frames from clay. I had some great results, so I did the lesson again this year, but with a few minor adjustments. First, I printed the students' photos from Harmony and laminated them, rather than asking students to bring in their school photo. So many students forgot, or didn't order school photos, that I had to do that with many students last year, anyway! Then, since all the photos came from me, they were the same size. I made paper templates to cut the frame from a slab, which was much easier than having the students create their own template (I'm always surprised at how hard it is for students to use a ruler!)

Here are a few examples of student work:



























Here is the back of a frame. After using masking tape to place the photo in the frame, I hot-glued a rectangle of cardboard (from a cereal box) to the back. The stand is a folded triangle of the same cardboard, which I also attached with my glue gun, holding it still while squirting glue on both sides.



2 comments:

  1. These are adorable! Did you use AMACO glaze on any of them? If so let me know and we'd love to post them on our Facebook page.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, all the glazes used were Amaco. You're welcome to link my blog to your Facebook page!

      Delete